2005-12-28

Hypocratos - God of Double Standards

[Orininally posted on 1Up.com]

Hypocrisy is the act of pretending to have morals or virtues that one does not truly possess or practice. The word derives from the late Latin hypocrisis and Greek hupokrisis both meaning play-acting or pretence.

The word is arguably derived from hypo- meaning under, + krinein meaning to decide/to dispute. A classic example of a hypocritical act is to denounce another for carrying out some action while carrying out the same action oneself.

The term hypocrisy is also commonly used in a way which should be more specifically termed a double standard, bias, or inconsistency. An example would be when one honestly believes that one group of individuals should be held to a different set of morals than another group.

Hypocrisy also refers to the act of criticizing others for behavior which one engages in as well, or in other words, not practising what you preach. An example would be a parent who smokes, but admonishes their adolescent child not to smoke. Some people believe that most, if not all people are hypocrites since we constantly criticize what we deem to be bad behavior, even though most people do bad things at some point in their lives.

Just two posts back I wrote, that picking up a PS2 would have to wait because I didn't feel like I could justify putting down the money for it... well, guess what I bought last week... yupp, a PSTwo modded-and-ready so I can play both PAL- and NTSC-games. I guess I was just lying to everyone (including myself) when I said that it would be a while... What I realized was that, if I was going to get a PS2 any time soon, I would need a good excuse (again, primarily for myself), so I though, why not have "Santa" bring me one? Lowe and behold! A PSTwo magically appeared beneath our miniature-plastic-christmas tree!

I haven't bought any games for it yet though. As, just like with the PSP, I have a friend who has almost all the great titles, so I'm borrowing them from him! Currently God of War is the game of choice, a really good game, nothing really special game play wise, it just does what it should really well, and has amazing graphics so there's really not a lot to complain about.

I've also borrowed Cookie & Cream, Ape Escape: Pumped and Primed, Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life, Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, Devil May Cry 2 & 3 and Tekken Tag Tournament. Soon I'll get Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Devil May Cry, Rez, GTA3, Gradius V as well so I should be busy for quite some time... too bad I have to work... ^_^;

Oh, and Hondana, I read the Eurogamer review of Disgaea, it sounds really good, so I'm gonna ask my friend if I can borrow that as well (he really does have a lot of titles)...

No comments: